There are four species of privet
- Tree privet (Ligustrum lucidum) flowers early to mid Summer.
- Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinense) flowers in Spring
- Privet (Ligustrurn ovalifolium)
- Common privet (Ligustrurn vulgare).
- Pollen and scent contribute to respiratory problems.
- Leaves and dark purple berries poisonous, have caused sickness in children and stock.
- Shades out competition and produces large quantities of seed, capable of replacing canopy trees in native forests and preventing seedling growth.